Friday, June 16, 2006

Zucchini soup recipe from Alison

This is an old recipe from a friend (I don't remember where she got it anymore) which makes a healthy, flavorful soup that's good hot or cold (I usually serve it cold). I usually add ~4x the amount of curry powder to pump up the flavor -- season as you like.

1 tbsp olive oil
2 lbs zucchini, sliced
3/4 cup yellow onion, finally chopped
1/2 tsp curry powder (or to your taste)
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
Salt & pepper to taste
Sour cream for garnish

Slice (1/4 inch thick) zucchini and saute in a large, deep pan in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add onion, cover, cook 5 minutes. Add curry, cook 1 minute. Add chicken stock, boil, and cook for 30 minutes after full boil. Puree in blender or food processor being careful not to burn yourself. Garnish and serve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to make this at home with an ancient one speed blender. Short story is that I burned myself twice with hot soup and then discovered the blender hadn't been properly rinsed and those frothy bubbles floating on the soup were soap. Therefore I never quiet got around to tasting the soup but I can testify that it did, certainly, smell very good and had it not been cooked by a fool would have made for a quick easy dish.

Sabra said...

Oh dear. That’s very upsetting! Do you have an immersion blender? That might be a safer way to go. Sorry about the burns. Try it again when you have a chance. I’m going to make it again soon since zucchini is in peak season now and I’ll post more specifics on the quantity of curry I use which I remember to be several tablespoons. I bought a spicy curry which might be nice to try in this. Better luck next time!

Anonymous said...

That is why I LUV hand held blenders. I can highly recommend them.

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. I love, love reading your comments - they motivate and inspire me. Typically I try to come back and respond to your comment. Forgive me if occasionally I don't. Thanks for dropping by! (p.s. please don't leave marketing messages here)