Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Spinach-couscous salad


My aunt always buys a terrific spinach couscous salad from a deli on the upper east side that we all love and devour. Time to figure out how to make it at home! It's extremely simple to make and is the perfect summer lunch. I tried a few times to successfully reverse-engineer it and I think I've got it!

1 1/4 cups cooked couscous (cooked in water, not chicken stock which can make it too chicken-y)
4 cups baby spinach, de-stemmed, and any tough veins removed
4 tbs minced green onion (about 3)
4 tbs chopped dill (a surprise ingredient)
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup French feta, cut or crumbled into small cubes
~1-2 tbs good olive oil
Salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste (I'm generous with both)

Allow couscous to cool. Chiffonade spinach and combine all ingredients. This version, which we like, is more spinach than couscous but adjust quantities to your liking. I like to drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle some additional salt on mine before I eat it but it's also good just as it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! I'm not a big fan of spinach but this recipe sounds too good not to try. Thanks for putting it together.

Anonymous said...

I tried this for a and added some cranberries and julienned apples. Have to like the idea of a sweetened version, but we did!

Anonymous said...

wow, I'm glad you figured it out! looks and sounds fantastic!

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. I love, love reading your comments - they motivate and inspire me. Typically I try to come back and respond to your comment. Forgive me if occasionally I don't. Thanks for dropping by! (p.s. please don't leave marketing messages here)