Friday, April 03, 2009

When the market gives you beautiful lemons: make lemonade!


I've been keeping things simple lately - have you noticed? A bit short on time but busy in a good way. I am incredibly excited that the weather is turning. The farmer's market is bustling again. Produce is edging away from root vegetables. Herbs are in now. I've been buying what's available and planting them in my little city garden. So far I've found oregano, parsley, dill, chive and thyme. Waiting for basil and chervil.


Last week, I found some incredible lemons with stems and leaves still intact. I couldn't believe my luck and bought quite a few. More than one would ever need but I had photos, not cooking in mind. And then I had to figure out how to make use of them. First use? Lemonade! Freshly squeezed lemons with a little sugar and sparkling water over ice. Maybe a little sanding sugar along the rim of the glass. So refreshing, natural and no fuss. Give it a try!

8 comments:

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Everything looks so refreshing and perfect for the warmer weather you will soon no doubt be experiencing.

larryb said...

Beautiful photo - Your lemonade recipe would be delicious on a hot summer day - or - those lemons would make a superb lemon pie - one of my favorites!

angela@spinachtiger said...

Oh, looks beautiful. I have been in the most lemony mood and made lemon cream cheese frosting last week pictured with some lemonade. No recipe for that. I think I'll go back in and link to here to keep the lemon theme going. Something about lemons that feels so refreshing. And, when you can find them with the stems it's special.

Anonymous said...

Too cool (no pun intended), especially with the sugar on the rim of the glass. Loved that. Helps me with my presentations when I see your clever, artful ones. srz

Simones Kitchen said...

Totally love the photos of your lemon's. They looks so incrediby fresh Sabra!
Btw... I finally, finally found a good source for beetroot! Remember I wanted to make that recipe of yours ages ago but couldn't find any...? Well I know where to get them now...:)

sweet paul said...

So pretty, love the simple!

Christelle said...

Hmmm, fell in love with your first photos on this post :)

montreal florist said...

Wow! It's really beautiful color with remon yellow. It's gorgeours photo.

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. I love, love reading your comments - they motivate and inspire me. Typically I try to come back and respond to your comment. Forgive me if occasionally I don't. Thanks for dropping by! (p.s. please don't leave marketing messages here)