Monday, September 21, 2009

Sexy fruit: figs

Don't you think figs are the sexiest fruit out there? I love figs and it's a treat when they are finally in season. I recently bought a fig tree for my apartment. I might be over-confident in thinking I can grow a healthy fig tree in a Manhattan apartment, but it's worth a try, no?

Figs are here and will be gone soon. While they're around, I'm taking advantage. I recently made a batch of David Lebovitz's fig ice cream. David is the master of frozen desserts so I figured I couldn't go wrong with his fig ice cream recipe. The ice cream has a lovely fig flavor and a deep purple color. It such an unusual flavor for ice cream that it is worth the effort to make a fresh batch while figs are in season.

For other fig dessert ideas, see my friend Jennifer Davick's recipe for Fresh Fig Frozen Yogurt here on her blog, and her feature on Design*Sponge with a recipe for
Fresh Mini Fig Pies with Honey Mascarpone Cream, here.


Fig ice cream (from Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments by David Lebovitz)

2 pounds fresh figs
1/2 cup water
1 lemon
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice or more to taste

Remove the hard stem ends from the figs, then cut each fig into 8 pieces. Place the figs and water in a medium saucepan. Zest the lemon directly into the pan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the figs are tender (8 to 10 minutes).

Remove the lid, add the sugar, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the figs reach a jam-like consistency. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Once cool, puree figs in a blender with the cream and lemon juice (puree quickly so as not to whip the cream). Taste and add more lemon juice as desired.

Chill thoroughly, then freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.


12 comments:

Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

Beautiful photos! My neighbor grows figs and they are so good, but I've never had fig ice cream before. I bet it's great! I love the little cups you have the ice cream in. I've seen cups like those on other blogs and always wonder where they're from because they're so cute.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

I totally agree with you! Figs are very sexy! I'm very interested in this fig ice cream...looks delicious and beautifully presented!

Genny said...

good!!

love lives in the kitchen said...

i love figs and agree with you that they are very sexy (and tasty).
thank you for this recipe.
have a nice day,
justyna

Unknown said...

Mmmmm. Figs are my all time favorite. We had a blooming fig tree when I was growing up in Louisiana, but I have never been able to get one to bear fruit again. Keep us posted on your indoor fig tree. That would be quite a coup.

Simones Kitchen said...

Figs are a great and beautiful fruit. Very photogenic too and this fig icecream looks amazing. I love the purple color!

angela@spinachtiger said...

I have read fig after fig blog post, and for some reason the ice cream post convinces me to go get some figs. My grandfather grew a fig tree, and it was of utmost importance to him, the thing he talked three times about the week he died, worried "she wouldn't get covered up and she woulda die."

You always show your food so beautifully. I mentioned you in my cherry macaroon post.

catchall fan in brooklyn said...

You CAN grow a fig tree in NYC. My maternal grandparents had one in their back yard in dyker heights brooklyn when I was growing up. whether it'll produce fruit, I couldn't guess.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Sarah, I just love coming to your site and gawk at everything you make. Your photography is simply the best in all food blogs, seriously!!! They are even better than my favorite Donna Hay!! You are brilliant!!

Sabrine d'Aubergine said...

Lovely, sexy recipe: as an Italian, I adore figs (such a Mediterranean touch!) and almost any fig-based dish.
I don't have an ice-cream maker, so I ice-cream is not in my archives, but I take note... just in case! Very nice, inspirational blog.
Ciao dall'Italia,
Sabrine

P.S. did you ever try "figgs and ham", a typical Italian dish? We usually eat it uncooked but.. I put them into the oven!

Jennifer Davick said...

Beautiful photos as always! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

We have a fig tree with many figs yet to fully ripen and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. This fig ice cream sounds and looks absolutely delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. I love, love reading your comments - they motivate and inspire me. Typically I try to come back and respond to your comment. Forgive me if occasionally I don't. Thanks for dropping by! (p.s. please don't leave marketing messages here)