Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Tomatoes: summer salads

August is certainly a celebration of tomatoes. It is such a treat to have sweet, farm-fresh tomatoes to enjoy. All of the colors and varieties are eye candy as well as a feast for the taste buds!
Heirloom cherry tomato, feta and red onion salad with oregano

I have just finished shooting images for a cookbook of tomato-oriented recipes - due out this winter. One would think three weeks of shopping for, styling and shooting tomato recipes would turn me off of tomatoes for a while. On the contrary, it has inspired me to think about ways to incorporate fresh tomatoes in foods that allow them to shine.
Caprese with mozzarella balls, heirloom tomatoes and chives

Lately, I've been playing with small heirloom tomatoes - cherry tomatoes and other varieties and incorporating them in salads that play with their scale and color. No need for recipes - just fresh tomatoes, perhaps some cheese, a sprinkling of herbs or some onions, a splash of olive oil and vinegar and a sprinkling of pepper and sea salt.

Enjoy!

"Miniature" Caprese with tiny mozzarella balls, currant-sized cherry tomatoes and a chiffonade of basil

14 comments:

Thorsten said...

Great series of photos Sabra. The contrast of th etomatoes in the first against the greyish backdrop is well done. And the white setting in the 2nd let stand out the green and red extremely well. Although the setting in the 3rd seems very subdued in colors, the plate are full of great colors like color islands. Hope your book project works fine.

Martha said...

The photography is gorgeous! Can't wait to see you work in print.

oneordinaryday said...

Great photos of some gorgeous tomatoes.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

Absolutely beautiful photography. Tomatoes have been my favorite thing about the summer this year. I've so enjoyed having them right out the back door. I hope to experiment with some heirloom varieties next year.

Vanille said...

Very flattering praise of tomatoes !
Can't wait for Summer now!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Wonderful images Sabra...my favourite is the last one. It looks really summery, fresh and bursting with colour. Can't wait to see the book in print!

Fra said...

what wonderfull shots! I love them
kisses
fra

larryb said...

Your photos are tomatoerrific! They make me want to take a bite off my computer screen. Kudos on the new cookbook photography. Great job!

genny said...

tutt'italiana quest aricettina!:D

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

so beautiful and perfect for the summer. i can't wait to see the cookbook!

Anonymous said...

Glad for the feta and red onion suggestion. I just O.D'd on the grape tomatoes and mozzarella balls looking for a change. Looks so refreshing and cool. We still need cool here!sudy

angela@spinachtiger said...

Of course this is beautiful. I have not been getting my email subscription for your blog. I tried to re-subscribe it wouldn't let me. I have found this to be true with several through feedblitz. So glad to see you back. You are one of my favorites. Your photos are always stunning!

catchall fan in bklyn said...

Love the images and I'm not even a tomato fan. Can't wait to own a signed copy of the cookbook. cheers to you!

Simones Kitchen said...

How gorgeous those look Sabra. I love tomatoes in all varieties so it will be interesting to get this book! Especially since you've been taking the photos, so it has to be good!

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. I love, love reading your comments - they motivate and inspire me. Typically I try to come back and respond to your comment. Forgive me if occasionally I don't. Thanks for dropping by! (p.s. please don't leave marketing messages here)