Friday, November 06, 2009

Crisp and fresh: radish and celery root salad

Flipping through a recent Donna Hay magazine, I came across a radish and celery root salad that looked divine. I adore celery root - its crunchy, sweet, essence-of-celery taste is divine. I love it in soups but I'd never tried it raw. Donna's recipe called for a thick, heavy dressing of largely full-fat mayonnaise. Donna - what were you thinking? So I made my own interpretation. This is fresh from the farmer's market - hope you are inspired.

Radish and celery root salad (inspired by Donna Hay)

8 radishes, thinly sliced with a mandoline
One large celery root, peed and cut into pieces a bit larger than matchsticks
Chopped chives (note: you can also used other herbs instead or in addition to the chives, such as chopped Italian parsley and chopped chervil)
One cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
One clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs good olive oil
1 Tbs champagne vinegar
1 wedge of lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine yogurt, garlic, olive oil and vinegar with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper. Squeeze lemon wedge into mixture. Adjust seasonings as necessary. Set aside.

Put a portion of celery root on each plate and top with radish slices. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with herbs. Serve immediately.

9 comments:

berry lovely said...

beautiful styling and photography

mom said...

Looks like the essence of summer - cool and green, with a crisp sea breeze floating by . . .

Unknown said...

I am so happy to have a calorie and health conscious salad dressing. I actually tasted this one, and it's delicious. Never know it wasn't loaded with rich calories.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Looks so fresh and crunchy. The image really evokes the flavors and textures. Beautiful!

Patricia Scarpin said...

You and I share the love for all things Donna Hay - but I must admit that, as much as I adore her recipes, I liked your salad better. ;)

Madame Sucre said...

very refreshing indeed! love it

Simones Kitchen said...

Ahh, that looks absolutely delicious! Love it.

angela@spinachtiger said...

This is probably the way I would have interpreted that recipe too. Very clean, bright and delicious.

zested said...

Lovely subtle tones in this - the light is perfect. Thanks for judging DMBLGIT!

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. I love, love reading your comments - they motivate and inspire me. Typically I try to come back and respond to your comment. Forgive me if occasionally I don't. Thanks for dropping by! (p.s. please don't leave marketing messages here)