Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Enjoying: scallops


Scallops are under-appreciated. I rarely buy scallops. Why? I really don't know. They are so quick, easy and versatile - they should be on my menu more often. Raw, they smell just like the sea with a touch of sweetness. They cook in minutes. They don't need much dressing. They have a wonderful, meaty texture. They're easy to portion.

The trick is to avoid over cooking them by cooking them until they are just on the cusp of turning opaque, realizing that they will continue to cook off the heat. The other trick is to give them a nice sear by making sure they are completely dry before they hit the pan. One way to help this is to dust them lightly with Wondra flour.

I made a wonderful, quick meal of seared scallops on top of a raw, shredded red cabbage and kohlrabi salad last week. I dressed the salad in olive oil and yuzu rice vinegar (one of my favorite dressings), and sprinkled some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper on the top along with some black sesame seeds. I put the scallops on top and drizzled a little more of the dressing on the scallops. Couldn't have been easier and it was crunchy, delightful and completely satisfying.

Red cabbage and green kohlrabi salad

1 small head red cabbage
2 small green kohlrabi
2 tbs good olive oil
2-3 tbs yuzu rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
Sea salt and black pepper
Black sesame seeds to garnish

Thinly slice cabbage and kohlrabi or shred in a food processor. Combine dressing ingredients and seasonings. Sprinkly with most of the black sesame seeds, reserving some for scallops. Lightly dress cabbage and kohlrabi. Portion among plates.

Scallops

6-8 jumbo scallops
Wondra flour
Olive oil (approximately 1 tbs)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pat scallops dry. Dredge in Wondra flour. Season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil to coat pan over medium-high heat. Sear scallops in batches on both sides until barely opaque (will take between 1 - 2 minutes per side depending on size and heat, watch closely). Remove from heat. Place 2-3 scallops on each plate. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love scallops. The only reason that I do not buy them is that they are very expensive. Oh but you are tempting me with this recipe.

Unknown said...

This really does sound easy, and that photo makes them utterly inviting. I'll have to try these. Thanks for the suggestion of the presentation on top of the fresh veggies. Yum.

angela@spinachtiger said...

We love scallops. It's more the price of good wild sea scallops that stops us, but we splurge about once a month. Recently, I experimented and used my cast iron pan. It was a light bulb moment.

Your scallop salad is the perfect way to start the new year, after all the holiday food. Picture perfect.

Anonymous said...

Scallops are one of the most erotic foods to eat. They are sweet, delicate, meaty and moist (if not over cooked). Your presentation and recipe are soulful and your photography is breathtaking. Thank you. I found your link per chance two years ago and have been following it ever since.
Thank you. You are an inspiration.
ljs

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. I love, love reading your comments - they motivate and inspire me. Typically I try to come back and respond to your comment. Forgive me if occasionally I don't. Thanks for dropping by! (p.s. please don't leave marketing messages here)