Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Re-exploring: Brussels sprouts

Happy new year everyone! I am back, and already breaking one of my New Year's resolutions, which is to post more of my own recipes versus sharing recipes of others. But this recipe is really worth sharing - it might change the way you think about Brussels sprouts. We cooked in for new year's, making this dish along with lobster grilled with butter, garlic, parsley and lemon zest, the scallop and cabbage recipe I shared at the end of the year, and a basic pasta with olive oil and garlic. It was a low key evening of good food and friends, the perfect way to ring in the new year.

Martha (yes, Martha) recently had chef Jeremy Fox from Ubuntu restaurant in Napa on to share some vegetarian alternatives to typical thanksgiving fare. Among the recipes shared was one for Brussels sprouts that called for just the leaves, discarding the core. While the sprouts take some preparation, the actual cooking time is reduced to mere minutes, and the approach transforms them into a beautiful emerald green color and delicate presentation. He pairs the sprouts with almond oil, chopped almonds and radishes. I have no idea why this works so well but the radish is the perfect complement to the sprouts.

The radishes called for are a mix of varieties you are highly unlikely to find in a grocery store or even typical farmer's market. Instead, I mixed common red radishes and breakfast radishes and for variety, left some whole and quartered / halved or cut the rest into matchsticks, using a mandoline to cut slice them thinly.

You can find the recipe here. Let me know what you think!

8 comments:

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Sabra, this is absolutely delicious! I love the combination of ingredients and textures in that dish.

deerseason87 said...

yum! the radish and brussel sprout flavors work well together because they are both members of the brassica family (along with mustard, turnips, cabbage, broccoli, etc.). what a beautiful dish!

sally said...

Yum! Ubuntu is a fantastic restuarant. This recipe must be great!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

i love brussel sprouts always have - i have to admit that i rarely use them as part of a salad. usually steaming them gently but this looks light and fresh. just like the gorgeous photos!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I have never tried Brussels sprout - I know, it's crazy! This beautiful, radiant salad is making me even more curious about.
Great styling and photos, as usual, Sabra!

Unknown said...

Even though I am a vegetable lover, I have never liked Brussels sprouts, unless they are drenched in butter. This recipe looks so beautiful that it makes me want to try them. My husband will be happpy. He says he loves them.

catchall fan in brooklyn said...

I love sprouts. Gotta try this!

La Tartine Gourmande said...

Looks very refreshing and tasty! Calling for summer!

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. I love, love reading your comments - they motivate and inspire me. Typically I try to come back and respond to your comment. Forgive me if occasionally I don't. Thanks for dropping by! (p.s. please don't leave marketing messages here)