Thursday, February 04, 2010

Satsifying a sweet tooth: quick-bake raspberry rolls

I've been fiddling around with some left over puff pastry from the Sweet Paul piece. It's so fun to work with pre-prepared pastry. It takes just minutes to make something delicious. It's a good thing it's frozen - at least there is some hurdle to baking a hedonistic treat!


Quick-bake raspberry rolls
(makes six, double recipe for 12)

One sheet puff pastry, defrosted according to package instructions
1/4 - 1/2 cup raspberry jam, heated to loosen it (strain seeds if desired but I like them)
Scant handful dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Melted butter for basting
Granulated sugar and sanding sugar for dusting


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place defrosted pastry on a lightly floured surface. Lightly dust with granulated sugar. Brush with butter and use a fork to prick pastry in 4 or 5 different places. Spoon on and evenly distribute jam. Scatter walnuts and cranberries on top. Cut pastry into six rectangles and roll each rectangle horizontally. Place on a non-stick baking sheet, seam down. Brush with butter and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake for ~15 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden.

13 comments:

Simones Kitchen said...

Puff pastry must seriously be one of the most versatile doughs out there! It goes with savoury and it goes with sweet and this is just another great example of a lovely quick bite!

MaryMoh said...

This looks so simple and easy to make, yet delicious. A great one to make should friends drop by any time.

Unknown said...

Quick Easy and delicious. The perfect tea time snack

dining room table said...

This is so easy to make. Perfect for immediate food preparation.

Thorsten said...

Puff Pastry is great. We have always a package in the freezer. Great idea. I like the combination of raspberry and cranberries. Lovely photos, especially the two unbaked ones with the raspberry jam on them. The red is wonderful with that bright lighting.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Oooh! These look absolutely delicious! Nice with a cup of tea!

angela@spinachtiger said...

I love how that pastry brush looks alive like it's dancing. Frozen pre-bought puff pastry is the only way I can work. Puff pastry has always intimidated me to make from scratch.

Anonymous said...

C'mon down! The Palm Beach crowd wants these great looking pastries for breakfast tomorrow. Miss the storm!

Unknown said...

A girl after my own heart...and my husband's. Easy, quick, and lots of my husband's favorite jam. Got house guests now, and won't they be happy when they awaken to this in the morning!

Sari @ Cook Your Dream said...

The versatility of Puff pastry is amazing. This is such a quick and easy to make dessert. This looks scrumptious, I love it! ;)

david.eugene said...

Talk about getting the sensory going! The final result looks so time consuming, but delicious. My family won't know what hit them when I prepare these tasty little bites. Awesome photography as well.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Sabra - this is such a great idea. I have a roll of puff pastry and still don't know what to do with it. This is awesome. I will try this recipe. :)

Tasteritos said...

This looks absolutely scrumptious! And it doesn't seem so difficult to make either. Great post. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. I love, love reading your comments - they motivate and inspire me. Typically I try to come back and respond to your comment. Forgive me if occasionally I don't. Thanks for dropping by! (p.s. please don't leave marketing messages here)